Insomnia occurs when individuals who frequently suffer from chronic sleep disturbance try harder to sleep or develop an anxious response when they are unable to sleep. Mindfulness-based therapy for insomnia, or MBTI, combines mindfulness principles and practices with behavioral techniques to treat this common issue.
MBTI teaches clients with insomnia how to use meditation practices to cultivate mindful awareness and change how they may be thinking about their insomnia symptoms. Practicing mindfulness meditation helps clients see their thoughts and desires as dynamic mental events and helps avoid becoming fixated on achieving specific outcomes or goals. This process, called metacognitive shifting, is one of the keys to reducing the symptoms of chronic insomnia.
In this video, Dr. Jason C. Ong works with a group of young male clients who are all suffering from various sleep issues. In this demonstration, Dr. Ong teaches behavioral strategies within a mindfulness framework to help the group learn how to cope with periods of wakefulness at night.
UNDERSTANDING YOUR NEWBORN provides comprehensive, evidence-based education about baby care in the first six weeks and beyond, helping you deliver consistent information at every touchpoint. Featuring modern, high-quality footage of actual newborns and real-life stories from first-time parents, this DVD allows you to teach in a clear and relatable way and deliver the latest guidelines from the Academy of Pediatrics and other trusted organizations, along with the importance of baby cues, early brain growth, and bonding.
* Newborn Traits - womb to world, skin-to-skin care, appearance and reflexes, senses
* Newborn Behaviors - states of alertness and how to interact, newborn sleep and breathing patterns
* Crying and Comforting - newborn crying patterns and why babies cry, comfort techniques, coping with crying and Abusive Head Trauma, baby blues and PPD
* Feeding - breastfeeding, formula, burping
* Diapering - supplies, how-to, diaper rash, stool and urine
patterns, when to call the healthcare provider
* Bathing, Nail Care, and Dressing - sponge bathing, tub bathing, water safety, nail care, dressing
* Newborn Health - cord care, circumcision/penis care, well baby visits, jaundice, vaccines, hand washing and visitors, taking temperature, when to call the healthcare provider
* Newborn Safety - car seats, equipment recalls